Sometimes you just feel like a zingy and tasty meal with an Asian flavour, one that can also be packed for your lunch the next day to give you a highly nutritious and delicious break in your long work day.
Another cook once, eat twice recipe for busy people!
Here’s what you need:
- The juice of 2-3 limes (depending on the size)
- 1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 small red chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or Rapadura sugar
Mix the above ingredients in a small bowl or jug and set aside.
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, or peanut oil
- 500g chicken mince, organic or free range
- 1 medium size red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coriander stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Kaffir lime leaf, cut the back vein out and slice finely
- 2 tablespoons Tamari
- 1 large red chili, sliced
- 1 dessert spoon of roasted white rice, ground (see instructions below). This is optional but it helps to absorb extra liquid when cooking the chicken
In a bowl, combine all the above ingredients, mixing well. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based frypan. Cook the chicken in batches, breaking up the chicken mince if needed until the chicken is cooked through.
- Mixed lettuce leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup raw peanuts, crushed
Put the dish together in a bowl. Spoon over the dressing to taste.
Any leftover chicken can be frozen for a quick meal.
Ground Roasted Rice
Heat a heavy based pan on medium heat. When hot, place 1/4 cup white or brown rice and dry roast until toasted. Cool and place in a grinder (an electric spice grinder works well) or a mortar and pestle. Grind to a powder. Use what you need and put any remaining in an airtight container or ziplock bag, place in the freezer for another day.