When thinking of light summer meals, coleslaw is perfect for taste and nutrition without the calories. I love this tasty version using fresh summer herbs of coriander, mint and Kaffir lime leaves which blend perfectly with the peanut flavoured dressing for a real asian flavour.
Red cabbage is not only a colourful base, but provides a range of nutrients and fibre for good digestion as well as anthocyanins, a powerful antioxidant.
Enjoy this delicious coleslaw with a chargrilled piece of fish like tuna, spanish mackeral or salmon, or your favourite chicken. It will also go well with red meats.
I always buy fresh peanut butter from health food stores. There’s nothing like the taste of freshly ground peanuts without any added salt or sugar that comes with the commercial brands.
Check out the Lunchtime Leftover ideas at the bottom of the recipe. This recipe will serve 2 (with some leftover for lunch)
- 2 1/4 cup of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut julienne-style
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, torn
- 1 1/4 tablespoon peanut butter (raw, crushed peanut butter from a health food store if best – crunchy will give your coleslaw an extra crunch)
- 3/4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3/4 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
Toss all the coleslaw ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and add just before serving.
For extra zing, you can add fresh chopped red chilli.
Lunchtime Leftover Ideas – add in a protein of your choice:
- Cooked Australian prawns for a special lunch treat
- A couple of boiled eggs, chopped will add a great source of protein
- Stir though a small can of tuna or salmon for a quick work lunch idea
- Feta or halloumi cheese – very tasty!